Saturday, February 12, 2011

Social Chaos

People have asked why I've decided to leave, then come back to Facebook...


At first, like many, I viewed Facebook as a novel and refreshing way to re-connect with old friends. I rarely used the site and would accept the occasional "random" friend request that would pop up in my e-mail. Over the years, however, I realized that my time and energy was being wasted on this website. I found myself being occupied/obsessed with updating my status, or posting pictures, or just good 'ol fashion "Facebook stalking" For what? So that it might look like I live my life a certain way? So that it might look like my life is perfect? All these things screamed to me: fake and shallow


My feelings and concerns were later reconfirmed during a message by pastor Stanley when he challenged us to step up and stop wasting our time, because whether we want to admit it or not our days are numbered and we are only blessed with a finite number of days on Earth. And what was I using my extra time doing? Good 'ol Facebook. Now don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to say I waste time on SportsCenter some days, and other days waste time on my Fantasy football league. I think we need those things in life to keep us sane and make life enjoyable. My point is, when these things become your focus and primary time consumer, then it's time to step up and re-prioritize. 


Because of this realization I've decided that I need to live my days like they are numbered and use every ounce of my energy and "extra" time leading my family and furthering God's kingdom. Therefore, I've decided to use Facebook as an avenue to speak the good truth as well as a forum for dialogue on discussions about faith, being a dad, and life as we see it. I challenge you over the next week to record how much time you spend on social networking. Once this number is determined, make a commitment to devote this "extra" time to God and your family.

"Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom" (Psalms 90:12)



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud to be your wife. I love you with all my heart! You are an amazing leader and I'm so blessed to do life beside you.

    ReplyDelete