Thursday, July 15, 2010

Raising a Modern-Day Knight

First of all I want to be the first to say that I hate reading. Don't know if it's my lack of focus, patience, or just my ADD kicking in. For most of my life I've enjoyed the math and sciences in school and it's not a coincidence that in teaching I love teaching these content areas as well. It seems, however, in these past couple of years I have really enjoyed reading. I think it has a lot to do with my maturity and growth and just allowing myself to be still and grasp and internalize what the author it trying to teach me.

One book in particular has really had an impact on me as a dad was Robert Lewis' "Raising A Modern-Day Knight." While there are some points that I might argue with or disagree with to a certain degree, most of the book provides great advice and a framework on the importance of father-son relationship, the effects  that has on your son later on in life, but more importantly how God has called us to a higher calling in being a dad and with that comes a great responsibility.

The author goes through your relationship, celebrations, and ultimately aligning God's will for your son, with you as an important facilitator of that. I highly recommend it to any dad with a son, and hope that you are blessed as I was after reading it.

After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water...and behold, a voice of the heavens said, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am pleased." -Matthew 3:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment